Saturday, January 8, 2011

Welcome to Cascadia Sports Central

If you are looking for amateur, yet passionate analysis of all the sports teams in the Cascadia region you have come to the right place. My name is Dan Balmer a journalism major and Senior at Western Washington University. I have experience as a news and sports editor for the college paper, The Western Front. I love sports and enjoy writing about sports.
The goal of this blog is simple, I will write a recap and opinion of all the major sporting events in the Pacific Northwest of all my favorite sports teams. This blog is from a fan perspective supported by stats from ESPN and the Associated Press. I will not write about roster transactions, contract negotiations and other off the field news. I want to simply focus on the games with significance during the course of each teams' respected seasons. Essentially, my blog will be all the exciting game highlights without the trans fats.
  The list of Cascadia sports teams includes big games from the Seattle Seahawks, Mariners, Sounders, the Vancouver Canucks, Vancouver Whitecaps and college basketball teams the Washington Huskies and Gonzaga Bulldogs and Huskies football team. If I feel like it, I might even write about Portland sports teams if it is worth doing so.
Seattle sports teams have had a history of underachieving and frustrating their fan base. Only the Seattle Supersonics (may they rest in peace) and Seattle Storm of the WNBA have captured championships. According to Forbes.com, Seattle has been awarded the dubious title of America's sports sports city.
http://www.forbes.com/2010/05/12/seattle-atlanta-phoenix-buffalo-business-sports-miserable-sports-cities.html
If you come to a game at Qwest or Safeco field, you will notice a city that loves its sports teams. The Seahawks have one of the best fans in football with the loudest stadium in the NFL. So the passion for sports in the Northwest is there. I want to bring my passion and excitement, along with frustration and pain I have for the sports teams I root for. Enjoy and thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment